Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It’s been a while since my last blog, but it’s definitely an appropriate time for an update on where we are in the adoption process. After my last blog, we received LOTS of paperwork to complete (50 page personal packets for each of us, 170 page short answer workbook and 7-10 hours of online trainings). It seemed quite overwhelming but with determination we completed it all in about 3 months. We feel more prepared for parenthood as adoptive parents, but we also know that we won’t really know what parenting is like until we walk through it.

The next step was to meet with a caseworker. Our appointment was scheduled for last Tuesday. It went really well and we are one step closer to our child or children. We are still not on the wait list and this list number keeps growing. I spoke with one of the ladies we work with at AGCI and she said that even though we will have a number and spot on the waitlist, we don’t have to be number one to get a referral. Each family has different parameters that they’ve chosen and depending on the child that becomes available first, the child might fit better with family #5 on the list. I was feeling very discouraged before hearing this, but I felt like God reminded me that his timing and his best isn’t dictated or restricted by a number or a list. What a wonderful God who works outside of boundaries and I’m glad to know that AGCI operates the way they do. The estimated timeframe is still anywhere from 19-24 months but I’m believing and praying that God speeds up his timing OR that I wouldn’t notice the wait time.

 Aside from the adoption, life has been great. Luke just finished his sixth year of teaching at West Valley High School. He had a wonderful school year and the Special Olympics program is developing more and more each year. This year, they hosted a track and field event where local schools came to participate and compete. I’m so proud of all his hard work and dedication to making his students feel outstanding! He is such a wonderful man and teacher. I’ve just finished my third year of teaching. I’m happy to say that I’m not moving to a new school this year. That will make for a less stressful summer. This school year was long and well long, but I’m very thankful for the many wonderful people who I’ve become friends with this year and the support I received from them. When it comes our little family (aka the dogs), they are doing well. They have their summer haircuts and are feeling wild and free being able to be outside in the sunshine more.

This summer, we plan to do some much needed yard work (yuck), work around the house, visit family, have family come to visit, attend a few weddings, celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary and Luke’s 30th birthday, float the river, get a tan and exercise. We’ve recently become more serious about our health, so we’ve been working out more and that will continue to be a big focus for us this summer. I plan to run in a few 5k races and Luke might join me on one or two.

 We hope your family has a blessed and wonderful summer. Thank you for your continued prayer for us through this adoption.